Bleeding abnormally long. Very dark blood, not heavy, cramps. What is going on?

Infertility Specialist
bleeding for almost 2 months straight I started a period on January 4th and am still bleeding. I have always had regular periods and so this is very abnormal, however I can't afford a doctor especially since I have no insurance. It's been at times very Dark almost black blood and red at others. its been not to heavy, but constant along with mild cramping. what is going on why am I bleeding like this?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

The possible causes for your bleeding are as follows:

1) Spontaneous abortion: If you were pregnant, you might be probably aborted leading to incomplete abortion. Some products of conception may still be inside uterus.

2) Infected fibroid / polyp: Any intrauterine masses like fibroid or polyp if got infected or avulsed might lead to continuous bleeding like this.

I understand that you can’t afford a doctor. But I strongly advice you to get an ultrasound; this is essential for diagnosis of your problem.

Continuous bleeding leads to anemia, infection and other complications. Hence I request you to manage to get an ultrasound of uterus. Further management can be planned following the results.

I hope I answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Follow-up: Bleeding abnormally long. Very dark blood, not heavy, cramps. What is going on? 45 hours later
ok I made an appointment with my obgyn I used when I had my son about 2 years ago, anyway I can't get in ubtill the 6th of march would you recommend I go to the hospital before then or do u think its fine to wait another week for my appointment
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 30 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

It would be better to seek medical help at the earliest. If it is possible to get ultrasound abdomen and pelvis scan earlier before the appointment that would be extremely helpful to rule out major causes.

Meanwhile, I suggest you to use iron supplements - one pill a day after food. Ferrous sulfate pills which are available over the counter at many places can be useful here.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further concerns.
Please close this discussion if you have no more queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.