Bitten by german shepherd dog. Getting dryness in throat. Should I be worried for rabies?

Question
I WAS BITTEN BY German Shepherd Dog on 21-12-2013,dog is still living does it has rabies,my throat is getting dried is this is the symptom of rabies.does i get rabies ?
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Rabies is a disease caused by a virus that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). The virus,as you know, is transmitted by bites from infected animals.
Normally if a person is bitten by an infected animal the virus would enter the brain and spinal cord, this takes 2 to 10 days.
At this time , an infected person would experience extreme fatigue, headache, fever and chills, poor appetite, diarrhoea, sore throat and agitation.

After this period symptoms such as muscle twitching, fits/seizures, confusion, thrashing and hallucinations would occur.
After this point, a coma occurs.

Since you were biten almost 2 months ago, it is unlikely that you have rabies because you would be in a comatose state at this time.
It is understandable that you are worried about the possibility of rabies, but in the absence of any of the above symptoms which would have certainly developed by this time, it is unlikely.

i hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Bitten by german shepherd dog. Getting dryness in throat. Should I be worried for rabies? 38 minutes later
DOG STILL ALIVE MORE THAN A MONTH AFTER BITING ME DOES IT HAVE RABIES.DOES RABIES COME FOR ME

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
Hi, no, you do not have rabies.
It has been almost 2 months since you have been bitten, if you had rabies it would have been affecting your brain and spinal cord.
It would not be causing the problems with your throat, it would be causing the symptoms mentioned above.

After 2 months of rabies , a person would be in a coma, you do not have it.

Feel free to ask any other questions