Bitten by a stray dog. Rabopor given immediately. How many dosages? Is there any danger now?

My son 05 years age was bitten by street dog on 12/05/2012 at 7.00 p.m. First dosage of rabopor was given immidiately, second on 15/05/2012, third on 19/05/2012. Two dosage are remaining now. It will be done as per schedule. Now let me know if there are any danger or need for any other treatment?

Are there any chances of rabies. Kindly suggest me exact treatment.
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query,

Please do not worry, what ever has been is fine and done as per standard treatment advised world wide.

There are 2 types of anti rabies treatment required in case of dog bite

1. Anti rabies vaccine-this is already given to him as per proper schedule.
2. Rabies immunoglobulin (RIG): This is required in case of XXXXXXX bites -severe bites.

Your doctor after examining the wound decides the category of bite and treatment required.

Rabies vaccine is a very good, safe and effective vaccine. After taking vaccine the chances of rabies are very very less.

Make sure the vaccine is either given in thigh or arm not on buttocks.

Please do not worry and complete the treatment as advised.

I hope this helps

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing him speedy recovery

Follow-up: Bitten by a stray dog. Rabopor given immediately. How many dosages? Is there any danger now? 30 minutes later
Kindly suggest if any other vaccination or medicine required after some time. Are there any test to check rabies viral infection ?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 5 minutes later

Good to hear from you again so soon.

At present nothing special other then vaccine is required. Normally the protection offered is life long for this bite.

In case of unfortunate event, any dog bites him again then depending upon time after this incidence he may require 2-3 injections at that time.

Still if you are concerned you can go for antibody titre against rabies in blood after completion of course.