Being transfused with blood and plasma giving a good HB. Platelet count seems to be decreasing. Cause and steps to improve this?

my father has been given blood and plasma since 3 days as his hemoglobin was 3.5 and platelets were also low.but now his hb is 9.7 and other vital parameters are also normal.there is no sign of XXXXXXX or external bleeding.but still the platelets are gradually they are 0000.plasma is still being given.Plz advise why this is happening and what steps should be taken to improve the platelet count.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 54 minutes later

Your father has been given plasma may be for some blood coagulation disorder or a factor deficiency leading to bleeding disorder.

There are multiple causes for low hemoglobin and platelet deficiency. The cause can be viral infection which if proved the conditions will improve. Then there are many other causes which lead to bone marrow depression. The cause for low counts need to be excluded one by one. For this a battery of investigations are required which your doctor will advise after having taken the full history and examination of your father.

Based on the cause, the reasons for fall in platelet and the next steps of treatment can be determined.

Hope this answer your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

Dr. J. Ticku
Follow-up: Being transfused with blood and plasma giving a good HB. Platelet count seems to be decreasing. Cause and steps to improve this? 4 hours later
presently my father is hospitalised in haldwani.doctors treating him have referred him to delhi. kindly suggest the best hospital in delhi for such problem.its urgent.plz reply urgently
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 39 minutes later

All hospitals are good. But, if you want the hospital of very less financial burden, All India Institute Of Medical Sciences is the best, for which you should take a proper referral from your present hospital. If there is no financial constraint, all corporate hospitals like XXXXXXX XXXXXXX hospitals XXXXXXX hospital, Apolo Hospital are good.You can go to either of these hospitals depending upon where you will be located in Delhi.

If you wish, you can see me in Rockland Hospital Dwarka, or Columbia Asia Hospital Palam Vihar, or Bens Up hospital Dwarka.

Your father needs emergency treatment and detailed work up to find out what has actually happened.

I hope I am clear to you.
Dr. J. Ticku