Been smoking and shooting meth. Have lymph nodes in neck and is swollen. Could it be cancer? Symptoms?

My girlfriend is in her 40s and been smoking and shooting meth for years recently the lymphnodes in her neck have swollen and she hasnt been eating good or sleepining good unntil recently and when she does theyre not that bad can this be related to the meth? And what else may res0onsible ? Could it me cancer? What would be rhe symptoms?
Posted Mon, 28 Oct 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enlarge nodes may be due to multiple reasons.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     40 year old female
•     Known case of Meth use
•     Complaints of: Enlarge lymph nodes in neck.

Meth contain Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV). MDPV is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant. Its use itself can cause decrease sleep and decrease appetite.

Apart from Meth use in her case, major concern is due to enlarged neck lymphnodes. Following are possible causes in her case in following sequence:
-Infection of lymphnodes. Infection like TB, other bacterial and viral infections are common in drug users due to increase chances of IV drug use, poor self care and decrease immunity.
-Cancer: In form of Lymphoma or Metastasis from other cancers.
-HIV: Need to rule out in her case, as it may also present with enlarge lymphnodes.

So get her evaluated from nearby physician. She may also need investigations like routine blood examination, imaging studies and lymphnode biopsy to confirm diagnosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.