Started getting headache and panic attack after using crystal meth. What's going on?

I tried Crystal meth for the first time this weekend I did more today less than I did over the weekend I have a terrible headache and panic attack like symptoms I'm afraid to sleep because I'm afraid I will have a seizure or something like that I have a prescription of prednisone and was wondering if it would help- I smoked it. And went on a bing with it sat night thru mid day Sunday - then Monday again from about 1-5pm
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in Drug Abuse
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Crystal meth or Bath salts contain Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV). Methylenedioxypyrovalerone (MDPV) is a designer drug of the phenethylamine class. Crystal meth is a central nervous system (CNS) stimulant.

The acute side effects of bath salts include tachycardia, hypertension, vasoconstriction, and sweating. High blood pressure and anxiety can lead to headache. The duration of the subjective effects is about 3 to 4 hours and the side effects continuing a total of 6 to 8 hours after administration.

Higher doses caused intense, prolonged panic attacks in stimulant-intolerant users like in your case, as you have started use recently only.

Overdose of bath salt is a medical emergency and should be treated in hospital. Following broad steps are followed in management:
-Maintain adequate hydration and drink plenty of water.
-Stop Crystal meth use now. As you are already on treatment for stress and crystal bath will further increase your stress, anxiety and other psychological problem.
-Treatment of psychiatric symptoms like anxiety and panic attacks by psychotropic medicines like benzodiezepines.
-Assessment of BP, Pulse and respiration. Investigation like serum electrolytes, liver/kidney function test and other test according to examination.
-Treatment of concurrent complication.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.