Back pain.x-ray,painful masturbation,restless after orgasm

Hello Doctor,
I’m a 29 year old (Male) working professional.
I have lower back pain since the November 2010. I consulted Neuro Surgeon twice for the same and took the medications prescribed by them. The pain has not reduced, its intermittent. Mostly I get the pain when I’m anxious.
The pain starts in the lower back, also nerves in the lower back of my head pains (tolerable).
When I’m not anxious and just being very relaxed, I get slight pain at the lower back while bending down and sitting up. (Kind of a quick pain from lower back to somewhere on top of my kidneys)
I also started doing ground exercises, but then I do get the pain in lower back while doing sit ups.
The neuro surgeon suggested there are no issues seen and the xray seems normal. The pain could be due to sitting postures.
Now I’m getting other doubt, will this pain be due to masturbation. Not sure I had been doing it more during my schoolings, however in the recent times (say 2 years) I’ve been doing it twice / thrice a week.
My erection and reaching orgasm is just fine. There are no issues as such.
However after I’m done masturbating the pain at the lower back seems aggravating, also a few times an orgasm makes me restless, anxious or confused I would say.
Please advise on how I can get a relief from lower back pain and also advise, which of the following I should be consulting Urologist or Nephrologist or a sexologist?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

There are following possibilities for the pain in lower back.
1. Disc prolapse.
2. Muscle sprain due to abnormal posture.

Lower back pain worsening by bending down and radiating to lower limbs suggests the possibility of disc prolapse. But there will not be any pain related to masturbation. There could be weakness in lower back after masturbation.

This could be ruled out by doing a MRI of lumbar spine. Disc prolapse cannot be diagnosed on an X-ray. You need to consult an orthopedic/spine surgeon/Neurosurgeon after doing MRI to find out any spine related pathology.

If there is no physical illness related to nerves, muscle, bone and abdominal-pelvic organs, then the pain is most likely due to psychological causes like stress, anxiety, depression and somatoform disorders which can be diagnosed and treated after consulting a psychiatrist.

Meanwhile for the symptomatic relief, you can follow these measures:

1. If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.

2. Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.

3. While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.

4. Avoid lifting heavy objects.

5. Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.

6. Avoid exercises in times of pain.

7. Improvise your posture while sitting.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.