Back cramps, tightening muscles. Any suggestion when it occurs?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
On occasion I have a cramp in my upper back between the shoulder blades that radiates down both arms and last just a few seconds. It feels like I have just free lifted heavy weights and the muscles are tight..If that makes sense...Other than just waitign for it to go away, any other suggestiion when it occures? I do do heavy workouts four tiems a week and this latest episode hit me on my second day of rest.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Hello ,
Most cases of simple cramps require no treatment other than patience and stretching. Gently and gradually stretching and massaging the affected muscle may ease the pain and hasten recovery.You should also avoid excessive strain during exercise and maintain good hydration to prevent cramps.
If persistent then physiotherapy may be beneficial.

More prolonged or regular cramps may need further investigations to rule out any nerve compression or myopathy or any underlying systemic illness.It is also seen as a sideeffects of certain medicines like statins which can cause myopathy.
In your case , I assume that since you have stopped simvastatin, the pain is not related or not started after taking simvastatin.
If there is any correlation then you need to consult your physician for confirming the diagnosis of statins induced myopathy.
The other likelihood is of a neuropathic pain due to spinal nerve compression in neck and upper back region.Sometimes spondylosis or such other vertebral column problems may compress the nerve roots and may trigger such pain especially after sudden activity.
A simple xray or if required an Mri spine can rule out this condition .

Alternatively a detailed physical examination by your doctor can lead to the most probable
diagnosis either musculoskeletal or neuropathic and accordingly further investigations might be
planned .So do consult your doctor and confirm the diagnosis.

Follow-up: Back cramps, tightening muscles. Any suggestion when it occurs? 2 days later
Quick question regarding infrequent dull ach in my upper jaw bone on the left side of my face. It is the right where the jawbone starts or connects...Any general concerns? As I stated it is very infrequent, but given my age and family history thought I would ask. I know in some cases it can be a sign of a serious condition.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 22 minutes later
Such pain and discomfort in the area of temperomandibular joint (tmj) or joint of jaw bone usually may be due to age related degenerative changes or orthodontic pain or tmjoint arthritis or rarely any mass lesion benign or malignant or trigeminal neuralgia.
As of now it just seems minor age related change or early tm joint arthritis.
I would advise you to consult an orofaciomaxillary surgeon and get an xray done to rule out other causes, confirm the diagnosis and relieve any doubts.