Back ache, slip disc, muscle pain, loss of appetite, weakness

Hi My father aged 78 has severe backache he had slipdisc some 25 years ago, i have been to most of the well known hospitals in delhi like Spinal Research Institute, Gangaram,Fortis etc but all the doctors say it's muscle pain only, since last few months he has lost apetite also and feeling very very weak. Can you suggest what treatment shall i go for and if you can suggest some doctors (ortho, general med) that would be great, i live in Dwarka,New Delhi.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

I can understand your concern for your father’s symptoms. It will be very helpful for me in understanding your father’s condition better if you could forward me his back x-ray or MRI reports - Please send the reports at YYYY@YYYY with sub: “ATTN Dr Jasvinder singh” so that I can have a look at them. Post your message after sending the reports in the followup query, so that I can reply to it.

Depending on the vertebral level that he is having slipped disk, he can have varying degrees of pain in the back or neck along with numbness or weakness in the corresponding organs, arms, or legs. If it is at a higher level of spine, it can cause pain in the shoulder, neck, arm, or hand and if it is at a lower spinal level, it can cause pain and numbness in the buttocks, back, legs, or feet.

Other than that, considering his age; osteoarthritis spine, Paget’s disease of the spine and lumbar strain to the muscles, tendons and ligaments at the lumbar level need to be ruled out. Both these are other common causes of severe back pain.

If you have not got a MRI whole spine done, then it is advisable to get it done.

Treatment options depend on the cause and vary from epidural steroid injection, transforaminal epidural decompressions, wearing braces, Percutaneous discectomy to surgical approach.

You can consult any good spine specialist in Delhi or Gurgaon at AIIMS or Medanta or alternately find and consult a good specialist by clicking on the following link: WWW.WWWW.WW
Awaiting your reply.