Baby having dry skin. Not improved after using alovera imf moisturizer. Any effective remedy?

My baby is 15 months old now. Her skin is very dry. Am using Alovera IMF moisturizer and also doing massage with olive oil, but it is still dry. She is itching always. Please suggest me some remedies to get relief from dry skin. Thanks in Advance.
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 9 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

I understand your problem.This condition of excess dryness of skin is known as Ichthyosis simplex which is a autosomal dominant inherited condition .Its a genetic disorder. It usually develops between 3 months to 5 year of age.We usually see scales and patches of dry skin mainly over XXXXXXX ,arms and abdomen.Sweating is reduced in such cases & this is associated with mild itching too.

The treatment is based on shedding the scales by use of alpha hydroxy acid creams & moisturizing creams that contain chemicals that help skin to shed normally, like lactic acid, salicylic acid, and urea.The condition usually disappears during adulthood, but may return years later.Also use a shower gel during bath instead of a soap.Soaps would dry the skin further.Use moisturizers immediately after bath on wet skin,so that the water gets trapped within the skin.

Do not keep the baby in air conditioner for a long time,since this would dry the skin further.

Since there is no cure for ichthyosis, treatment consists of managing the symptoms.

I would advice you to consult your dermatologist at regular intervals ,as this is a chronic condition.The latest would be use of oral retinoids ( isotretinoin/acetretin - vitamin A derivative) in such cases especially if the condition is very sever. Retinoids are not so commonly used as it has various side effects associated with it.
You can get these drugs prescribed from your dermatologist after his consultation.

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.