Are flax seeds and Warfarin compatible?

are flax seed and cumaden ( warfarin ) compadible.
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 27 days later
Thanks for writing your query to XXXXXXX

Patients on warfarin need to do frequent monitoring of PT INR blood test. Results have shown that those who consume flaxseeds or flaxseeds oil have increase levels INR. Flaxseed and flaxseed oil has shown a propensity to decrease platelet aggregation and therefore increase bleeding time. Hence it is recommended to increase the frequency of blood testing for INR if you are already consuming the flaxseeds. Kindly consult with your treating physician to determine how frequently INR needs to be monitored before starting or stopping Flaxseeds. Flaxseed should only be consumed under guidance of your doctor.

I hope i have answered your query. In case of any further doubts, I will be happy to help you.