Are cold hand and cold feet symptoms of any illness?

I was wondering if my cold hands and cold feet are symptom of any illness? What are your recommendations on battling this?
Posted Wed, 17 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 9 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Cold hands and feet could be a symptom of hypothyroidism, peripheral vascular disease, anxiety disorders and depressive illness amongst others.
I would need to know a little more about your complaints so that I can help you identify what's causing your symptoms.
Let me know and we can take this discussion ahead in a more fruitful manner
Follow-up: Are cold hand and cold feet symptoms of any illness? 19 hours later
Hello Doctor .
Thank you for the response. This is very useful to know. Based on my recent blood test results, hormon thyroid was pretty high but the doctor said not high enough to make a prescription. Anxiety is present , and I am trying to battle it. Depression symptoms at times are more severe but at times are totally not present. So depression is very sporadic.
Should I respond to any other questions to aid you in identifying what might be the actual problem
thank you so much
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 17 hours later
Cold and clammy hands are usually a sign of nervousness and anxiety which is often associated with an increased level of thyroid hormone.
Also, there is a disorder called Raynaud's which needs to be ruled out. In this disorder, the hands turn from pink to white to blue when there is excessive cold.I would like to know if that is the case with you.
I think the most appropriate next step here would be to decrease your anxiety levels. Exercise, reducing caffeine, alcohol and tobacco intake and some XXXXXX breathing exercises will help us here. Try talking to friends and family about what troubles you etc.
Hope this helps
Follow-up: Are cold hand and cold feet symptoms of any illness? 38 minutes later
Thanks Doctor. Raynaud's does not seem to be the case . The only issue is that they are cold. Are there any vitamins I should be taking?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 minutes later
I don't think vitamins are required here. But a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables is helful in reducing anxiety. For helping you reduce your anxiety, I would suggest some breathing exercises called pranayama. You'll find the videos and the how to techniques online. You may also want to see a physician about taking some anti-anxiety medication if all these measures dont help.