Appendectomy done. Noticed mucus in bowel. Is this normal? Worried for cancer

General Surgeon
I had an appendectomy in January. I am 54 years old. I occasionally will have mucus in my bowels and sometimes just mucus will come out. Is this normal. I am worried about cancer too.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

Mucus in the stool does not have to indicate anything wrong. Usually it appears when constipation are present. It is because intestine cells constantly produce mucus to allow stool to pass. If stool does not pass due to constipation, only mucus gets out.
However as you are older than 50, and with this age, colon cancer risk rises significantly, such symptom should be verified. The best way to do that is to perform colonoscopy (every person in the age of 50 should have colonoscopy every 10 years or FOBT every year).
Other symptoms which can indicate colon cancer are: constipation or/and diarrhea, weight lost, weakness, blood in stool, abdominal pains, low hemoglobin level.
Other conditions which can cause constipation are: medicines (antidepressants, Ca-blockers), severe intestinal infection, thyroid disease, diet (low fiber XXXXXXX products, low mineral water intake).

As you do suffer from panic disorder, this situation most likely triggers some fear. So I suggest you to have colonoscopy done what will give 100% sure answer about the cancer.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.