Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello Doctor, This is XXXX aged 30 Years Male. Since 10 -12 months i have this small lump/boil near around the anal area for which i consulted a General Surgeon, he advised for a scan to confirm anal fistula. However i am worried and not ready for any surgical procedures as i understand fistula needs surgical intervention,also he advised to get the scan done in XXXXXXX memorial ,Queen road ,Bangalore , which is supposed to be good .But i am not really keen to get it done there as getting an appointment is a tough task & even if i get a appointment the wait time is around 3-4 hrs, which practically difficult for working professional like me.I need you help & advice on the below 1.Can you help get an priority appointment in XXXXXXX or suggest an alternative institute here i can get the scan done. 2.Is there a non surgical treatment for anal fistula. Kindly advice.
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be simple boil or a skin tag ? Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I can understand your apprehension. You need to get a good clinical examination, we practically go for a scan when there is a complicated fistula only. Just to diagnose a fistula you may not need a scan. Even if you feel it essential you may go for any sonologist with high resolution scan and ask for a transanal and perianal usg. If confirmed fistula you will need surgery but there are minimally invasive procedures available but all depends on the primary clinical examination. I can help you decide the procedure if you get me the pictures and the transanal scan. Hope this helps Do write back in case of concern.
Follow-up: Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula? 23 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I have got the scan done & have uploaded all the scan reports.Kindly examine & advice if surgery is necessary & is there a non surgical treatment or do u think i can live with it. Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs Surgical Intervention Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing in again Have gone through your reports, It would be better if you go for a surgical intervention I would go for coring of the fistulous track along with a seton if the fibers of sphincter involved are sizeable Hope this helps Do write back in case of concern Wishing you a healthy life ahead
Follow-up: Any non surgical treatment for anal fistula? 8 hours later
Thank you doctor for the advice.What could be the cause for this fistula to occur & what are the chances that it will not recur. regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Most commonly secondary to perianal infoection Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for writing in again Most commonly the fistula are secondary to perianal infections But there are n number of causes which are beyond the scope of a forum to discuss Surgery if done perfectly in expert hands the recurrence is hardly 3-8 % Hope this helps