Anterior Listhesis,spondylolysis,disc bulge,thecal sac indentation,foraminal stenosis.Surgery?

My mother(age:63) is diagnosed with below:
1. Grade II anterior Listhesis of L5 over S1 vertebra with spondylolysis of L5 vertebra.
2. An apparent disc bulge of L5-S1 disc causing stenosis with exciting nerve root compression
Could you please let me know if a surgery will be needed. Her only symptom is leg pain when walking.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 55 minutes later

Your mother is having a disc prolapse with foraminal stenosis from which the nerves travel out producing nerve compression.

At present as she is only suffering with Pain while walking and no other symptoms, I would like to know a few more things which will help me in suggesting you better:
1. Is the pain she feels is present only in her knee or ankle or hip joints or it shoots all over the leg?
2. Is she taking any treatment for the pain?
3. Is there any relief? How far can she walk when she takes medicines regularly?

Regarding the need of surgery, it depends on her symptoms and how far she is being relieved while on medications.

In your mother's case as of now I am of the opinion that the it is not an emergency for Surgery but might be required if the symptoms worsens. If she can lead a normal life with the help of medicines then the surgery can be avoided. The disease process will not be reversed with any medications but the symptoms can be relieved. It depends on the assessment of her orthopaedician when will she need surgery. Please discuss about this with your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing your mother a good health.