Anion gap, globulin, ALT, AST, cholesterol, IDL test report. Normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my anion gap is 7.7 my globulin calc is 3.8 my ast is 65 my alt is 115 and cholesterol is 210 iam 30 male and this is second blood test that say this in last 2 monthes i am 5 7 190 lbs and my ldl 138 not sure what this all means or need to worrie thanks
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later

Following is the interpretation of the data provided by you.

1. Your anion gap normal range varies from laboratory to laboratory but the latest range for normal is 7 +/- 4, so your levels may be considered normal.

2. Your liver function tests i.e. AST (Aspartate transaminase normally up to 30), ALT (Alanine transaminase 30 to 40), globulin (up to 3.5) are deranged, all mildly increased from the normal levels.

3. Your cholesterol (normal less than 200) and LDL levels (Low Density Lipoprotein, normal 100 to 129), are borderline or just raised above normal.

4. You are moderately overweight.

Please do not panic as these could be just as a result of obesity and need to be evaluated by your physician after starting you on medications to lower your cholesterol like statins.

You also need to consult a nutritionist for diet and lifestyle modifications to control your levels.
Worrying would only worsen your problem and your situation is most likely reversible with treatment. So don't worry, just consult your doctor and make a healthy start.

Follow-up: Anion gap, globulin, ALT, AST, cholesterol, IDL test report. Normal? 6 hours later
thank you i have one more ? about this the stuff on my liver are only slightly high and that can be from being over weight to. and on my first blood test a month ago those 2 numbers were normal not sure i mentioned that or that makes a diff. and than just wondering if this is all related to the feeling that something goes down my legs up my chest a num ming feeling or like a shot of adrinalin going through my body and i get really shaky thanks agian
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes the liver profile can be deranged by obesity itself or other causes like , alcohol, drug toxicity, viral infection etc.
If your levels were normal before and have changed now it could still be due to increasing cholesterol but other possibilities should be ruled out by your doctor.
This tingling numbness could be due to vitamin b 12 deficiency which can be a result of liver derangement, alcohol etc.
So I would suggest you consult your doctor for thorough evaluation and do consider testing your vitamin b 12 levels whenever you repeat your routine blood tests.
Alternatively you may take a multivitamin b complex supplement daily once as per your doctors prescription to see if it decreases your symptoms.
Hope I have answered your query.
please accept my reply if you have no further queries.