Anal fissures, dark stool, taking milk of magnesia. Is it normal?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have been taking milk of magnesia to help anal fissures heal. I have noticed that when I take it my stool is dark is this normal?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 21 minutes later

Yes, Magnesium containing drugs are known to cause bleeding in the stomach and upper gastrointestinal tract which can present as dark stools or 'coffee-ground' vomit.

Since you are experiencing this symptom it could be bleeding. It would be wise to discuss this with your Doctor and get change in the drug. You can get stool softeners as replacement. Also you can take 2 table spoons of Ispaghulla husk to add bulk to stools and easy passage of stools.

Avoid spicy food, smoking, alcohol which can aggravate the situation. If you need to reduce acidity in stomach medicine like Proton pump inhibitors are better.

Anal fissures primarily occur due to bad bowel habits like constipation.

Constipation can result from unhealthy diet which is lacking in fiber. Fiber is XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Also drink plenty of water as this adds to the bulk of stool as well. Exercise daily by brisk walking for 40 minutes a day.

Since anal fissures are very painful, you can get relief by sitting in a tub of warm water for around 10 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Also you can apply Lignocaine gel before and after passing stool into the anus for anaesthetic effect.

Acute fissures will heal if precaution is taken as mentioned above. Chronic may need surgical treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.