Anal fissures, anal pain, soft stools, blood in motion, diarrhea. Treatment ?

Had a sphincterotomy to help with anal fissure a year and half ago. It was okay for a month or so. Now I've got the anal pain with a new symptom of having to go potty a lot. I can spend up to 3 hours going potty in the a.m. Stools are very soft but not liquid. If I try to hold the bm it becomes painful. There is blood now and again but not everytime. The pain is not constant. Once bowels are empty I have no pain in the anal area. I also get a prickly feeling when anal area is calming down. I also had L5/S1 surgery to clean herniation and trapped nerve. Some symptoms relieved but still having a alot of problems walking for long, more than 5 min. Numbness in thighs and feet. Feet and hip area painful. All this began at the same time. Not sure what began this domino effect. I had bad diarrhea after drinking bad iced coffee and also almost did the splits when I almost slipped on ice around the same time. I can't help to think there is a connection. Could these two be connected?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later

If it was open technique sphincterectomy which you underwent , the symptoms you have are much expected and rarely associated with closed/subcutaneous technique.Its a must for you to get examined physically as the bleeding points can soon loosen up causing more damage if strained more on stools.Do apply xylocain 2% jelly few minutes before the Bowel movement , you will have no or very less pain.

Yes, you can be right in thinking that the splits you had could have triggered the neural symptoms you having now.There are much chances of common complication called "Failed back syndrome " to have occurred in you .Do consult your neurosurgeon. You may have to get a MRI now , with detailed sensory and motor examination which can give clue into extent of involvement and the management needed.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them,.

Follow-up: Anal fissures, anal pain, soft stools, blood in motion, diarrhea. Treatment ? 40 hours later
In your professional opinion what specific testing/treatment/referrals should I ask my doctor for? After 3 years of this and very little improvement after 2 surgeries I have to think that my doctor is missing something as he tends to see my issue as separate issues (feet/rear end/thighs etc.). Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

You may be needing a proctoscopy test, this will give enough information needed for further management.The treatments depend on the findings in the test.

The overall wellness of the problem you have is surgeon dependent , I would advice you to go for a second opinion with a good Gastroenterologist.The physical examination and the perfectness in the surgery is what guarantees zero recurrence.

Wish you good health.
Hope I answered your query.