An ultrasound showed mismatch of values. Does it mean fetal abnormalities? How to increase baby's femur length?

Hi,my wife is pregnenet for the first time.This is her 34th week.Last day we had done an ultrasound.
Report shows that HC (32.1cm) and BPD (8.93cm) is of 36 week but AC(29.2cm) -33weeks and FL(6.17cm) is of 32week.Now we are bit worries about the mismatch in thses values.Does thses values shows any fetal abnormalities??Is 6.17cm femur length common?
Else how can we increase Femur length of baby?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 18 hours later

These kind of parameters are often measured in mid and late pregnancy. Sometimes due to posture of baby, calculation and measurements are not done properly. These parameters are approximate values.

They are measured to calculate the approximate gestational age (Baby age). Variation of +/- 2 weeks is expected and normal.

You can not do anything to increase the femur length. One should care for overall fetal growth. My suggestion for you is keep in touch with your Obstetrician and do a followup scan after 2 weeks for fetal growth.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: An ultrasound showed mismatch of values. Does it mean fetal abnormalities? How to increase baby's femur length? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for your information…Few more doubts..

Did you mean to say there is nothing to worry ?

Yes. +/- 2 weeks are considered as normal ,but in our case HC and BPD is -36weeks and FL and AC is 32 weeks. Difference of 4 weeks. This is making me nervous ….

Does this mismatch of Head Circumference to Femur length ratio indicate any abnormality?
Is there any chance to have FL increased automatically within 7-8 weeks and get appropriate length?
Does it indicate any issue like hydrocephalus or something????Please answer as soon as possible…
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Thanks again for writing back.

In my clinical practice when I face such reports, I cross checked from other ultrasound center as well. So as you are worried, you might get an ultrasound done from other center as well.

Regarding hydrocephalus, it is accumulation of fluid inside brain. Big head size parameter does not mean hydrocephalus.

Also as the fetus grows, femur length will also increase automatically.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish your wife good health and healthy pregnancy.

Best wishes