Am I going to miscarry due to an empty gestational sac? Taking thyroxine for hypothyroidism.

I am 41 years old and pregnant for the 3rd time. In my first pregnancy, I developed HELLP syndrome and delivered an IUGR baby at 31 weeks. After running tests to see if there was perhaps an underlying cause, I was diagnosed with thrombophilia. In my second pregnancy, all went well besides developing a hypothyroid.I took baby asprin through that pregnancy to prevent blood clotting.

I believe that LMP was around Nov 17th- not completely sure (a home pregnancy test came back positive on Dec 15th). I went for an 2nd ultra-sound this morning, and while I believe I am well over 7 weeks, I am told that the gestational sac is empty and measures for 5.5 weeks. The 1st ultrasound 11 days ago, estimated my pregnancy to be at 5 weeks, after which that I had a follow-up doctor's appointment and was told that I have developed hypo-thyroidism (27.5 TSH) again. I started taking thyroxine (.075mgs) that day. Is it safe to assume, I am going to miscarry due to a blighted ovum? Any chance that now that I am on the medication, a fetus/yolk sac will form? This pregnancy was a complete shock, and I just got my head around being a mother of three, now trying to get my head around having a miscarriage.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
At 7 weeks of gestation, if the ultrasound scan shows a gestational sac of 5weeks 5 days with no visible fetal poles inside the sac then most likely it is a blighted ovum. Since you have started taking thyroxine supplements now, still it is not likely to help the development of fetus inside the sac. You can get it confirmed by going for a repeat ultrasound scan after 10 days and see if the gestational sac grows in size.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.