Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause?

Question
I am allergic to latex condoms. My partner and I are both std free. I've had discharge w/odor & yellow. I thought I had bv but my doctor said that it wasn't.
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
This is good that you are both STD free.
You may use other birth control methods like pills & implants to avoid any problem.
All vaginal discharges donot indicate infection. You need to tell us more about your discharge like its amount, duration, smell etc. Only then we can make a comment about its nature, or, you can go for a swab test to find out the cause of this discharge.
Please write back with more details to get a more specific answer.
Waiting for your response.

Follow-up: Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause? 11 minutes later
I am on birth control pills (switched brands that Friday). There was some itching. Slightly fishy, but I had eaten fish on Thursday before we had sex (Saturday). My first time in over a year. The discharge was enough to cake up ”down there”. For the most part it was protected. He's concerned about my latex allergy and worried I'd had a reaction afterwards. It wasn't until I got back to Va that it began. I currently have a respiratory infection and the doctor saw that I had some bacteria growing ”down there”. She put me on keflex to take care of both problems and waiting got the labs to get back

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 1 hour later
Thanks for your response.
Eating fish has no relation to fishy smelling vaginal discharge.
A single episode of vaginal discharge is of no significance. However if this continues then probably you need to worry about.
Most common condition which is associated with a fishy smelling discharge after sex is Bacterial Vaginosis. It is not an STD but quite a common condition seen in women.
Fishy smelling discharge is not likely to be due to allergy. However you should avoid Latex if you have a known allergy.
If this continues you will be needing a course of medicine to treat it. You have to see a gynecologist for confirmation of diagnosis & to get a prescription.
You may write back once your labs are ready for review.
Hope you get well soon.

Follow-up: Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause? 5 minutes later
Thank you. I believe that I should get a second opinion because I know my body

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 4 minutes later
You are welcome.
Yes, this is a very sensible decision & you should act as per your instincts.
Best regards.

Follow-up: Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause? 49 minutes later
Are people very susceptible to getting bv when they have a new sex partner?

Welcome back.
No this infection has no relation to sex & is not increased by having a new partner. It has been reported in virgins also. It is just an alteration in the bacteria which normally colonize the vagina. This alteration increases the percentage of anaerobic bacteria which are responsible for abnormal discharge & smell.
However, the fishy smell often comes when vaginal secretions come in contact with semen.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you have any question.

Follow-up: Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause? 3 minutes later
If both of us are clean, then where would the yellow discharge come from? The doctor said that she didn't see any clue cells that indicated bv.

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 hours later
Thanks for your question.
You are right Bacterial Vaginosis has nothing to do with sexual relationships & I have not diagnosed that you have BV definitely.This is just my provisional diagnosis.
Best way to confirm the nature of this discharge is to have a Swab test ( both high & low vaginal). I am sure this will give you a diagnosis. We can also think about the cause once the reports are ready.
Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Allergic to latex condoms. Had odourless and yellow discharge. STD free. What could be the cause? 7 minutes later
My labs come back around Wednesday

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 30 minutes later
Hi there,
Thanks for your response.
You may upload your reports to me for a second opinion. I shall be glad to review them & advise you accordingly.