Alcoholic and smoker. Diabetes normal. Reason for sudden raised creatinine levels?

Jul 2016

Sir,How does one deteremine if both the kidneys have got damaged. In this case in august 2011 he had his creatinine levels at 3.6 AND NOW IT 5.9 Secondly he has been a regular alcoholic drinker of 6 pegs a day and smoking plus gutka. He is a total vegetarain except at times he has eggs.
When Diabetes is normal what can be the reason of sudden rise in creatinine levels. He is 56 yrs of age and 113 kgs of weight.
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Hope you have posted facts of your relative or friend. His serum creatinine level has raised in 3 months time which indicates Chronic Renal Paranchymal Disease. Following test will determine the extent of kidney damage.
1) Routine urine test will reveal presence of Proteins in Urine .and pus cells ( if there is active Infection).
2) Ultrasound of the abdomen will reveal thinning of Renal Cortex and reduction in size of the kidneys.
3) DMSA Renal scan will reveal diminished function on either on one or both the sides depending on the affected side
4) Raised serum creatinine with persistent raising levels if not treated
5) Renal Biopsy to confirm the tissue diagnosis. (This is normally not advised)

Since he is chronic alcoholic and diabetes the chances of disease progressing are very high.You have to consult some Nephrologist for proper assessment and further treatment.
Please feel free if you have any more questions .I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks with Regards.
Follow-up: Alcoholic and smoker. Diabetes normal. Reason for sudden raised creatinine levels? 15 hours later

You have in your reply said 'His serum creatinine level has raised in 3 months time'. But Sir if you read by question carefully it is clear that in August 2011 it was 3.6 and now its 5.9. Basically a gap of 16 months and not 3 months.

Sir, does weight play a role in the creatinine levels. What are best ways to reduce creatinine levels

What are the test to determine the extent of damage individually to both the kidneys
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later

Thanks for pointing out my mistake. Any way his creatinine levels are suggestive of renal parenchymal disease. I have already explained in my earlier reply the tests to be carried out to determine the extent of damage to the kidney - those which will also reveal damage to individual kidney.

As regards to role of weight in relation to creatinine level, I would like to state that weight has no relation with raising creatinine levels.

Management to reduce creatinine level will be decided only after reports of these tests are in hand AND the nature of the disease and extent of the damage to the kidneys are known.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need more clarifications.