Alcoholic. Have high GGT, high ALT and high AST level. Ultrasound to be done. Any complications?

Gastroenterologist
Question
I just found out that I have a very high GGT (141), but only slightly high ALT (39) and AST (46). Like the previous inquiry, I have been drinking more than normal for the last 2 months...3-6 drinks a night, vs. 1-3 drinks in the past. The rest of my metabolic panel is within normal range and the hepatitis acute panel showed normal.

My doctor wants to perform an ultrasound, which I am doing in a week's time. Does this appear to be due to the recent high alcohol consumption or should I worry about something more?
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 13 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thanks for contacting Healthcare Magic.
Your liver biochemistry is suggestive of injury due to excessive alcohol intake. High cholesterol and fatty liver could have also contributed. You should certainly reduce your alcohol intake significantly. I think ultrasound examination is important for you and should further clarify your problem.
You can always get back if you have further queries.
Best wishes.
Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have high GGT, high ALT and high AST level. Ultrasound to be done. Any complications? 49 minutes later
Thanks for your repoy. What will they be looking for in the ultrasound?

Also, should I go back on the statin? I went off because of potential heart issues due to statins using CoQ10 and also the reduction of cholesterol in the brain. My father had Parkinson's and Lewy Body so I don't want to take away more brain cholesterol. My high cholesterol is good so my ratio is good. Both of my parents and two of my 3 siblings have high cholesterol as well, though theirs is much higher.

More background. My height is 5'4" and weight 130 lbs. The thyroidectomy was because of a large goiter right after I went off the birth control pill at age 55. There was a 24% chance of cancer so the doctor removed the whole thing, but it was benign.

Last, my mother had Ovarian Cancer at age 57. I have had genetic testing to see if the breast cancer and ovarian were related but it was negative. Nonetheless, I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago as prevention.

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 18 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thanks for contacting again.

On ultrasound we look at the liver architecture (whether or not there are changes of chronicity or cirrhosis), amount of fat in liver (this should be there in people who take excessive alcohol or are obese or have hyperlipidemia), also for any mass lesion in liver and any changes suggestive of portal hypertension this is usually associated with cirrhosis).

Your cholesterol level are quite high. People with hypothyroidism tend to have have high cholesterol, but I see that your TSH levels are normal. I think a small dose of statins to keep cholesterol levels within normal limits should be fine for you.

Your BMI is 22.31, which is good. So chances are that there will be changes related to alcohol intake on ultrasound.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal

Follow-up: Alcoholic. Have high GGT, high ALT and high AST level. Ultrasound to be done. Any complications? 8 hours later
Thank you for such a complete answer.

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 24 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX,

I am happy to see you relieved.

Hope your MRI report comes favorable.

Dr Dinesh Singal