Advised to take alprazolam. Had withdrawal nerves and took trazodome. Could I take trazodome and xanax together?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
Question
I HAVE XANAX ALPRAZOLAM ,TRAZODOME AND LEXAPRO I DO NOT TAKE THEM ALL. SINCE NOV PRESCRIBED ALPRAZOLAM RAN OUT END OF AUG.COULD NOT GET REFILLED I HAD RENEWAL TOOK 6 DAYS TO OVER RIDE HAD WITHDRAWAL NERVES GOT BAD DR AT HOSPITAL GAVE TRAZODOME. TO TAKE AT BEDTIME. WHICH IS BEST. I STARTED BACK ON XANAX WED. GOING TO NEW DR THE 23 AND 30TH. CAN THESE BE TAKEN TOGETHER?I TOOK 1/2 OF XANAX AT 9AM TODAY , NOW CAN I TAKE THE LEXAPRO OR REST OF THE XANAX?DO NOT TAKE THE LEXAPRO IN A WHILE
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can take Lexapro with Xanax.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic!

Lexapro (escitalopram), Xanax (alprazolam) and trazodone, all three help reduce anxiety but have different properties. While trazodone and Lexapro have longer lasting effects on anxiety, Xanax works only as long as it is there in the body. It provides only a transient benefit, but the body becomes dependent on it. That is why, if one stops taking Xanax suddenly like you did, there are withdrawal symptoms usually characterized be anxiety and insomnia. Withdrawal is not seen with Lexapro and trazodone but there may be mild and transient discontinuation symptoms with both.

Comparing between Lexapro and trazodone, Lexapro would be considered better as it is considered safer than trazodone for elderly. Trazodone causes sedation and must be taken only at night.

For you, the best regime would be Lexapro taken regularly and for a long time. Since you had stopped Lexapro and would be restarting it, please note that this medicine takes a few weeks to show its effects. Till then, you can take a benzodiazepine (like Xanax or Klonopin) along with Lexapro. I would prefer Klonopin over Xanax as it has less chances of dependence and withdrawal than Xanax.

There is no harm in taking Lexapro and Xanax together. Remember to start Lexapro in a very low dose, like 5 mg once daily. Do not be in a hurry to hike the dose. Even this dose may give you good results as lesser dosages are required in the elderly. Do not take Xanax in dosages more than prescribed by your doctor. It can be taken two to three times a day as it is short acting.

Hope this helps you. Please feel free to ask if you need any clarifications.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry

Follow-up: Advised to take alprazolam. Had withdrawal nerves and took trazodome. Could I take trazodome and xanax together? 1 hour later
CAN I TAKE A LEXAPRO NOW AND A TRAZODOME AT BEDTIME

Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back!,

Yes, you can take a Lexapro in the morning after breakfast and trazodone at night. Take care that trazodone can cause sedation so take as low a dose as possible, maybe 25 or 50 mg only.

Best wishes.

Dr Preeti Parakh
MD Psychiatry