Advised statin, do not have cholesterol. History of heart attacks, on stents. Should I take it?

(Female - age 59) I had a heart attack about 4 years ago (no heart damage) and had 2 stents placed. I had absolutely no indicators of heart issues. I was placed on plavix, 325 mg. of aspirin, and a statin drug. I do not have high cholesterol and have always had a perfect profile in that area. My questions has always been, "why am I on a statin drug if I don't have high cholesterol?" No answer. Three weeks ago I stopped taking all 3 of these drugs because I am tired of looking like a domestic abuse survivor (bruises everywhere) I am currently takine CoQ10, Vit. D, and I'm going to start taking krill oil. I have serious questions about whether or not I really need to stay on plavix - where are the studies that prove plavix is the only way to prevent future strokes?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for sharing your concerns,
You are having Coronary artery disease treated by Angioplasty with 2 stent placed 4 years back. This is good that you were taking treatment regularly; however it is not right to stop these medicines suddenly. Please understand there are few medicines which you need to continue preferably lifelong.

Please consult your Physician and start them as soon as possible.

Plavix (Clopidogrel) and Aspirin are blood thinners if you are having bruises dose of aspirin may be reduced to 150 or 75 mg/day.
Clopidogrel (Plavix) must continue at least 1 year, preferably should continue lifelong.
Please let me tell you there are other advantages of Statin apart from effects on Lipids (Cholesterol) they are known as pleiotropic effects improvement of endothelial dysfunction, increased nitric oxide bioavailability, antioxidant properties, inhibition of inflammatory responses, and stabilization of atherosclerotic plaques.

Low dose of a Beta blocker should be added to prescription if tolerated.
Krill oil you can take as it contains omega 3 fatty acids is beneficial.
You can continue to take CoQ10 and Vitamin D if it is low.
Please take care of your health.

Hope this information helps you, if you have any doubt please feel free to ask me ,I will be more than happy to help you.

With Best Regards.
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D