Accidentally took two or three tablets. Trying to reduce BP level. Should I be worried?

May 2014

I am prescribed the 10mg and accidentally took 2 or 3 I couldn't remember if I had taken it the day before...was trying to get blood pressure down for dot I in danger...what should I do? thanks so much sincerely XXXX
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Request further details of medication.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail. As details of medication are not mentioned by you, its a difficult to exactly predict the adverse effect in taking 2-3 tablets.

Nevertheless, please do not get worried if it has happened just on a single occasion. Its unlikely to cause any serious overdose effects.

I am sure you will avoid further overdosage in future, knowingly or in error.

Waiting for an update from your end.

Follow-up: Accidentally took two or three tablets. Trying to reduce BP level. Should I be worried? 5 hours later
im so sorry dr is was 10mg lisinopril...3... daily dose is 1...... thank sorry for the silly error thank you for your time help and patience sincerely jfee
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry but avoid that next time.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in with an update.

Taking lisinopril 10 mg x 3 tablets on a single occasion will not cause any serious adverse effects. You are not in any danger situation because of that.

Although overdosing (upto a certain level) is normally pretty well tolerated, acute overdoses (say more than 10 mg x 20 tablets), those involving children or overdosing over an extended period of time could have significant negative side effects. Please restrict dose as prescribed by your doctor.

The most common immediate side effect from overdosing on lisinopril is a drop in blood pressure, which can cause fainting, dizziness or extreme weakness.

Overdosing over an extended period of time could cause XXXXXXX organ damage due to loss of oxygen, which is normally carried to the brain, heart and major organs by blood flow. Renal failure is possible, due to oxygen deprivation, as is other major organ failure.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.