Absence of periods. Taken primolut and got periods. Prescribed YAZ pills. Is it safe to be taken?

I am a 37 year old mother of two. I had my last periods on the 9th of march 2012 and when i didn"t get my periods by about the same time next month,did a HPT and a blood test and both came out negative.The doctor put me on a 5-day Primolut Nor course (as she said i had amenorrhoea)and i got my periods on the fourth day after the course.I am planning on taking contraceptives and the doctor has prescribed me the YAZ pills which she has asked me to take on the 4th or 5th day of my periods.Is that safe coz as per the instructions they are supposed to be taken on the first day.If i do take them on the 4th or 5th day should i continue taking the same way even for my next course of pills.Please advise.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 44 minutes later
If you start taking the pills from day 5 of the cycle even then they are equally effective. After taking pills for 21 days, you have to give a seven day pill free period during which your next periods will start. After the 7 day interval, you will have to start taking the next pack of pills.
During the first month, it is best to have a double protection and use condoms. After that there is no need to have any added protection.
This will give you a better predictable cycles with lesser amount of bleeding.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Absence of periods. Taken primolut and got periods. Prescribed YAZ pills. Is it safe to be taken? 1 hour later
Thanx Dr XXXXXXX But i have two more queries with regards to the above.Firstly,the YAZ pills are numbered for 28 days.Am i not supposed to take them all?Secondly, for my next course should i start taking them from day 5 or from the start date of my periods?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The 28 pill pack contains white colored false pills. You have to take all the 28 pills and then start with the next pack on the next day without any pill free day irrespective of the bleeding. You can start the first pack from day 5 and the next pack is started in continuation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.