Abnormal vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain, pelvic ultrasound shows cyst.

Question
i am having abnormal vaginal bleeding very light for the last 12 days not even a pad a day pelvic pain and it just wont stop i am 31 and this has never happened to me before, they did a pelvic ultra sound and saw a cyst on the right side doc was supposed to call me with results and next step and still has not i am concerned
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Hello
From the history it seems that you are having Dysfunctional uterine bleeding. A light and persistent vaginal bleeding like you are having along with an ovarian cyst most likely is suggestive of a hormonal imbalance.
The other possible causes of such disorder can be psychological stress, weight (obesity, anorexia, or a rapid change), exercise, endocrinopathy, neoplasm, drugs, or it may be otherwise idiopathic.
Mid-cycle bleeding may indicate a transient estrogen decline, while late-cycle bleeding may indicate progesterone deficiency.
Laboratory assessment of hemoglobin, luteinizing hormone (LH), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), prolactin, T4, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), pregnancy (by βhCG), and androgen profile can be done.
The management of this condition would require treatment with progesterone to stabilize the endometrium and reduce bleeding. Oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) suppress endometrial development, reestablish predictable bleeding patterns, decrease menstrual flow, and lower the risk of iron deficiency anemia.
You might consult your OB-GYN who can do the needed tests and initiate the proper therapy.

I hope the above information helps to answer your questions effectively.
Please feel free to forward any additional queries, which I will be glad to answer.
Regards.

Follow-up: Abnormal vaginal bleeding, pelvic pain, pelvic ultrasound shows cyst. 3 hours later
Would it be normal for something like this to come on so suddenly and with such discomfort? When I looked back in my period calculator I noticed my last 4 periods were completely normal in flow but coming every 18 days I have noticed a decreased appetite and am very worried my cousin had ovarian cancer at 23 and my grandmother died from cervical cancer, I am young and relatively healthy with no major changes, something does not feel right to me the doc also did no blood work or XXXXXXX exam or pap just ordered a ultra sound and said if there was nothing on that that we would than proceed with a pelvic ct what should I request and how concerned should I be

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

It is normal to have hormonal imbalances so suddenly and with pain. You need to get a Pap smear done to rule out cervical problems.

Internal examination will not reveal anything more than an ultrasound regarding ovarian pathology. However I would suggest you to get an XXXXXXX examination done by your gynecologist.

It is best to get a CT abdomen done to get the clear picture of any possible masses in the ovary.

If there is any abnormal finding on the CT, then you can suggest your doctor for the blood tests.

Your problem seems to be related to hormonal imbalance only and hormonal therapy most likely will bring the relief.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Regards.