Abnormal pap smear test report. Further treatment?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
I had an abnormal pap smear and was asked to come back for another in six months. What should I do?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later

Abnormal pap smear is classified as-mild dysplasia, moderate dysplasia and severe dysplasia (which corresponds to low grade SIL and high grade SIL as per the Bethesda classification ).

If the report is mild dysplasia (low grade SIL) the person is asked to come back after six months for repeat Pap smear. This is because majority of mild dysplasia will revert back to normal within six months.

If you give the details of Pap smear report, I will be able to tell you something more precise.

Awaiting your reply.

With best wishes
Follow-up: Abnormal pap smear test report. Further treatment? 8 minutes later
It was mild and I was asked to come back in six months. The doctor said she does not classify the cells as precancerous.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 7 minutes later
Thanks for reverting.

If the report is mild, you can repeat Pap smear after six months.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further follow up queries.