Abdominal pain and bleeding, frequent toilet. Combination of old and new blood. Anything serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Excellent
Question
hi i have abdominal pain and are bleeding and have been for 2 weeks now its a combanation of old and new blood? and isint getting any better the pain comes and goes im tryed and are going to the toilet alot
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX
thanks for your query.
I would be helped a lot if you provide the details of the D and C that you mentioned - when was it done, for what indication and what were the biopsy results ?
Right now, you should immediately seek the attention of a gynecologist.
There could be many reasons for your abnormal and prolonged bleeding.
A failed pregnancy or an ectopic pregnancy could be the reason.
Cervical or endometrial polyp or fibroid or endometrial hyperplasia ( thickening of the lining of the uterus ) is one cause.
Polycystic ovaries, thyroid or adrenal hormone dysfunction, raised prolactin levels - all are potential causes.
Ingestion of hormonal medication or birth control could cause this.
Stress, anxiety, emotional upheavals, hectic travelling, weight changes, surgery, fever, illness - all are contributory.
Please see a gynecologist for thorough evaluation, workup and appropriate treatment.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain and bleeding, frequent toilet. Combination of old and new blood. Anything serious? 22 minutes later
i have just come off the depo injection about 2 and a half weeks ago and my d and c was about 8 years ago i have had a child 4 years ago natural birth with no complications could this just be coming of injection tho i have been on it b4 and never had a problem just a normal period about 4to 5 days ?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
Oh yes, if you had mentioned it earlier, I could have told you this straightaway.
After coming off the Depot, it is absolutely normal to have the kind of bleeding you are having.
it is a hormonal method of birth control, so it would definitely take a few weeks for your body to adjust to its withdrawal.
Just to be on the safer side, please see your healthcare provider and mention this complaint.

Follow-up: Abdominal pain and bleeding, frequent toilet. Combination of old and new blood. Anything serious? 2 minutes later
ok thank-you so much i will go see my Dr but fell much more at ease :)

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
You are most welcome.
Its a pleasure from my side too.