92 year's old suffering from aching and burning joints during the hot weather. Need some advice?

My 92 year old mother, in otherwise fairly good health, has been suffering from very aching and burning joints during the hot weather. In addition she has been experiencing popping of her neck bones no matter what the weather (she says this is so frequent as to be annoying). Can you offer me any advice as to what to do for her? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
She is an elderly lady and a burning sensation in joints is a very nonspecific feeling in this age group. Some are age related. Degeneration and nutritional factors come into play.
It is possible that she has got sub minimal changes of Osteoarthritis and the discomfort of it making her feel like that, or it may be just an age related dryness of skin that is troubling her.
Please ask her whether the problem is on the skin or is felt XXXXXXX in the joints!
You can do passive ( assisted) flexion and extension of the joints holding her joint. Olive oil massages help prior to these passive movements. After you do it, ask her to repeat them 10 times every 4 hours.
If the problem is in the skin due to dryness then simple emollient creams once in 8 hours would solve the issue. If Osteoarthritis it is also good to take opinion from Orthopedician.
I think by your description "she has been experiencing popping of her neck bones" you mean involuntary neck movements or head bobbing in either Yes/No like noding, which is called titubation.
It typically bothers elderly and is related to general weakness, ill health and neurological disorders like strokes, parkinson's disease etc. Some nerve regenerators help but not promising at this age.

I wish a great health for her. Follow up with me.