8 year child with autism has pink eye. Taken antibiotic. Should I get worried?

An 8 year old boy with autism has a pink eye. Had 10 days of antibiotics and still has it. The eye doesn't bother him, but is still pink. Never had discharge. Is pinker in the mornig.
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 7 hours later

There are two possibilities.He might be having a viral conjunctivitis,so antibiotics might not have worked.Viral conjunctivitis is self limiting and takes a longer time to resolve.

Secondly, since there is no pain and discharge, it might be a subconjunctival haemorrhage.Subconjunctival haemorrhage is bright red in colour, and takes about two weeks to resolve.

You can continue with the antibiotic eye drops.If you can take a closeup photograph of the eye and upload it, I will be able to comment better.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer any furthur queries,if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah