72 years old having loss of appetite and reduced weight. Medical test normal. Any suggestion?

My father is 72 yrs old. He has lost weight around 16kg in last 2 yrs. His appetite has also reduced. He feels drowsiness in day time and also pain near elbow while walking.

We have done all the basic tests like sugar, lipid profile, Liver function test, Chest Xray, Spine X XXXXXXX and Lower abdominal ultrasound. All looks ok. Need to understand what can cause of weakness. Can you suggest on this ?
Posted Mon, 19 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 54 minutes later
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Weight loss in this age is a matter for serious concern.
Poor eating from loss of appetite may be responsible.
With normal or increased appetite, thyroid over-activity and diabetes are prime suspects – normal sugar rules out diabetes. Drowsiness is unlikely in hyperthyroidism.
More XXXXXXX and not uncommon cause is malignancy (cancer). The primary cause can be a small focus and difficult to detect – like prostate, thyroid and so on. . A battery of blood tests (tumour markers) needs to be done. Whole body scan may have to be necessary. The person to investigte is a Medical Oncologist.

Pain near elbow on walking? – in the arms? It may be heart pain. It is called referred pain. Usual chest pain may not be felt in some people and only the referred pain can be felt. Heart pain typically comes on effort (walking) and is relieved by rest; radiates to shoulders and arms; sweating and so on. The person to investigate is a cardiologist.

The best option will be to admit him in a multi-speciality tertiary care hospital and investigate.
If anything is detected, treatment can be planned. There is no guarantee that it will be found – but there is no other way.

Wishing him speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Follow-up: 72 years old having loss of appetite and reduced weight. Medical test normal. Any suggestion? 6 minutes later
Thank you Doctor for feedback.
I typed wrongly. It was not Elbow pain. He has pain in lower side of legs while walking.

I want to physically XXXXXXX a general physician on to discuss in detail. Please suggest on that.

Some points,

Thyroid check and Sugar check are all normal.

Liver function test and Lower abdominal ultra sound is fine.

Chest and Spine Xray are fine.

What additional tests can be done ? Which Doctor I should consult in Bangalore ?

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 18 minutes later

Tumour markers and whole body scan – as already said – are the additional tests to be done.
     Leg pain – with normal spine X-ray - may mean narrow blood vessels. Doppler study of blood vessels may shed light.
     Health Care Magic has a panel of doctors in Bangalore – you can contact them. Choose a multi-speciality tertiary care hospital

Good luck