63 years old. Noticed very dark purple colour from corner and middle of eye. What could be the cause?

Looked in mirror--very dark purple under eye (black eye)-no injury, no swelling, no redness in the eye itself, no pain, just appeared this morning. I am a 63 year old female. It starts at inner corner and continues to the middle of eye like a quarter of a cirle.
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 54 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
By far the most likely cause in your case seems to be a trauma to your forehead or around your eyes. The trauma may have gone unnoticed. 
Your black eye will go away with time but if you are sure that you didn't get any injury on your forehead or around your eyes,then you should consult your doctor to get your blood checked for coagulation defects.
In coagulation defects there may be spontaneous bleeding,like you had. 
There is no treatment to be given now as it will go away of it's own.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.