6 year old having palpitations while doing physical activity. Causes?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 6 year old son has been complaining that his heart "is going fast" several times this past week, usually in the evening, while we are doing quiet type activities such as playing a game or reading a book. When he complains of this, I barely touch his chest and feel his heart pounding. What can be causing this??
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,

Most of the palpitations in young healthy children could functional and related to fear, anxiety, exercise or at the most fever, stimulant caffeinated drinks, anemia or side effects of medicines.

But along with subjective feeling of tachycardia if the objective measurement of pulse and heart rate are more than 100/minute or less than 100 but with irregular beats or skipped beats, then it could be arrhythmia or a cardiac disorder.

So if possible get his heart rate or pulse checked by your doctor or any trained personnel.

If the doctor finds it necessary, he might get further work up done like ecg (electrocardiography) or 2 d echo done or blood tests to rule out anemia or hormonal problems.

As of now, if he has no other symptoms like breathlessness, fever, pain or sweating, then most
likely it could be functional if his heart rate and BP are normal.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.