56 years age. Had a tubal ligation and mucus discharge during ovulation. Having sporadic period and same discharge

Question
IAm 56 years old. I had a tubal ligation when I was 24. Until the age of 51 when I started through the change I always had a mucussy discharge when I ovulated. It was just the same as before my tubal ligation. Currently I still have very sporatic periods and I still have the mucussy discharge about 2 weeks before I start. My question is: Is this normal?

Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 39 minutes later
At 56, if you have achieved menopause, then you shouldnt be having sporadic periods. The mucus discharge on and off may occur due to local changes. But you shouldnt have any bleeding if you are post menopausal. I suggest that you have a pap smear test as well as an ultrasound as soon as possible. Check the endometrial lining thickness. If its higher than normal then you need to be investigated further.

Follow-up: 56 years age. Had a tubal ligation and mucus discharge during ovulation. Having sporadic period and same discharge 2 hours later
I am not post menopausal. I am still having sporadic periods. And I have had a recent pap smear test and also a vaginal ultrasound in XXXXXXX of this year. I have always ovulated even after my tubal ligation at age 24. I continue to ovulate before each sporadic period. Also, I have always had regular pap smears all my life, all of them good. I just want to know why I ovulate. There is no blood involved when I do. It is a thick slimy mucus discharge that happens 1 time about 2 weeks before my period, just like it did before my tubes were tied. Thank you for your understanding.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
Firstly,there is no connection between ovulation and tubal ligation. You may ovulate as long as you are menstruating. But at your age, there shouldnt be any ovulation or menses. I suggest that you have your hormone levels checked. Also the midcycle discharge need not always be due to ovulation. That may occur due to hormonal changes in your cycle. My concern is whether you are perimenopausal. Because,prolonged menstruation and late menopause are risk factors for endometrial cancer. Hence i suggest you have you hormone levels checked.Even if not post menopausal,you should be perimenopausal by now.

Follow-up: 56 years age. Had a tubal ligation and mucus discharge during ovulation. Having sporadic period and same discharge 20 hours later
Thank you so much for your reply. You answered my questions and I will have my hormone levels checked. I'm pretty sure that I am perimenopausal. I have all of the symptoms. Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later
Happy to help.