54 years old. Feeling bloated, frequent urination and getting delayed periods. Menopause?

Mar 2013
I am 54 years old. My husband and I are active and he believes he may be infertile due to diabetes and heart medications. For the past 2 weeks I've needed to urinate frequently, and have been very hungry. The last few days I've felt and looked a little bloated. And the last 2 days had minor abdominal twinges on my left side of the uterus area. My periods are fairly regular and have only been off 1-3 days occasionally but now I am almost 2 weeks late.
Posted Thu, 10 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later

At 54 years, it is very unlikely that you have had a spontaneous conception (pregnancy)
The delay in periods could be because of the peri menopausal natural changes in the menstrual cycle, wherein periods are gradually delayed and duration of flow decreases.

Regarding the urination, bloating etc, they could be non-specific symptoms.

Indigestion / constipation etc also might cause mild sensation of bloating as well as the twinges in the abdomen that you mention, especially as you already have acid refux, you said.

Being diabetic and taking heart medications does not mean that your husband is infertile, both these conditions might sometimes lead to erectile/ejaculatory disturbances, but they do not mean that he is sterile.

However, if you want to be on the safer side, please consult a gynecologist who would 100 % confirm or rule out a pregnancy by examination, ultrasound etc. In addition, would advise you other tests and supplements if you are indeed nearing menopause.

Would be happy to help with further clarifications.
Follow-up: 54 years old. Feeling bloated, frequent urination and getting delayed periods. Menopause? 1 hour later
Was diagnosed with acid reflux last year (2011) and have controlled it with diet. Have never had any nausea or bloating from this and I am not constipated.

I will wait a couple more weeks and see if we get a period or if I need to go see someone, but this is quite disconcerting.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 hours later

Actually you could wait a couple of weeks and even take a home pregnancy ( URINE ) test to confirm your pregnancy.

Please do not worry unnecessarily, as it is highly unlikely for you to have conceived at 54.

All the best.