48 years old. Does an FSH level of 76 indicate menopause?

Does an FSH level of 76 indicate menopause? I am 48.
I just want to know if i have had two periods in the last two years and I had a blood test that gave me an FSH level of 76 does that indicate menopause or should be worried abt something else. I've heard there is a blood test for menopause.
Posted Tue, 9 Oct 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
There is no single blood test that reliably predicts when a woman is going through the menopausal transition. The only way to diagnose menopause is to observe the lack of menstrual periods for 12 months in a woman in the expected age.
However your FSH level is quite high & if it is more than 40 at two different interval along with amenorrhea of 12 months,we can predict that you are entering into menopausal phase.

I hope your query has been answered. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.

Dr.Monika Choudhary