41 years old. Having abdominal pain. Gestational sac not seen in the uterus. Ectopic pregnancy?

I am 41years old and on my fifth pregnancy with one etopic pregnancy in 2003. i went to my local er for abdominal pain and extended abdomen and was informed that i was pregnant, and had a reptured overian cyst, the doctors drain the cyst and send me home, at that time i was told i was 3weeks along but they are unable to see anything in the uterus and my hcg level is now 2273 and still unable to see anything in the uterus Can you help me to understand this.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later

As your HCG levels are rising, pregnancy is still likely.

If the radiologist is not able to see any gestational sac in the uterus then the possibility of ectopic pregnancy or a secondary abdominal pregnancy (very rare) needs to be considered. You can wait if the pain has subsided and then repeat the scan. But if the lower abdomen pain is persistent then consider getting MRI scan done to detect the gestational sac.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal