4 year child developed light brown irregular shaped dark spot on chest. Should I be concerned?

my 4 yr old boy has recently developed a light brown irregularly shaped dark spot on his chest. He is fair complected and has been in the sun a lot this summer. It was not there prior to this summer. Should I be concerned? any guess as to what it might be?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later
Dear patient
I would request you to please send in a couple of photographs so that I can give you a detailed response.
Follow-up: 4 year child developed light brown irregular shaped dark spot on chest. Should I be concerned? 7 minutes later
Do you have an email address I can send it to? This system will not take it
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 14 hours later
Please send it to YYYY@YYYY . In the subject line, please write Attention to Dr XXXXXXX Batra.
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 12 hours later
Dear Patient,
Thanks for the photgraph and follow up.
It seems that the brown pigmentation is as a result of a post inflammatory process - post inflammatory hyperpigmentation and is common after a trauma, sunburn , application of some cream, oil etc.
A mild topicl steroid cream is all that is required to take care of the condition .
Sun avoidence also needs to be mantained to prevent further pigmentation and faster results.

Dr.Rohit Batra