37.1 weeks pregnant. Fundal height measuring 36 weeks. Is there something wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi I'm 37.1 weeks pregnant and the fundal height it measuring 36 weeks does this mean there is something wrong ? At all my other visits last visit 34 weeks fundal height was right on target
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 35 minutes later
hi,

usually in pregnancy particularly in primis can also be in multis,
the fundal height decreases after 36 weeks,
because head descends into the pelvis,
means by 36 weeks it will at the level of xiphysternum,
then by 38 weeks because of descent of head it will come to 34 weeks level approximately,
then by 40 weeks it can come to 32 weeks level with progression of descent of head,
flank fullness can be noted after 36 weeks along with descent,
so because of this process your fundal height may be around 36 weeks with time it will descend further.
if the baby growth, placental position and amniotic fluid volume etc are normal in ultrasound then no need to bother about it.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: 37.1 weeks pregnant. Fundal height measuring 36 weeks. Is there something wrong? 1 minute later
Dr did not order an ultrasound since 31 weeks just measures fundal height with tape measure .

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 43 minutes later
hi,

no problem, physical examination can also say the growth of the baby like feel of head, adequacy of liquor, growth of girth of abdomen etc,
if at all she noticed any disparity she might have ordered for ultrasound,
anyhow she will order in next one or two weeks as part of routine checkup, so you don't worry.
take your routine medicines regularly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.