36 weeks pregnant. Suffering with severe itching. What are the reason and precaution to be taken?

Hi, My wife is now 36weeks pregnant. Now she is suffering with severe itching and my doctor has suggested to go for LFT. in LFT it found that serum alkaline phosphatase is 174.6 IU/L. Can you please help and suggest what are the reasons and what are the precautions which we can take. Please suggest.
Posted Sat, 13 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 53 minutes later
Raised liver enzymes can be a cause for itching in pregnancy.It is seen in a lot of pregnant women.Here the alkaline phosphatase is a bit raised. That may be the cause of itching.She can apply lactocalamine lotion for soothing relief. Your doctor will prescribe some hepato protective medication. Tablet Udiliv 300mg tice a day usually is helpful.