3 year child having cold, fever and dry cough. On relent and calpol. Alternate cough syrup?

My three and half year old is having cold, fever and dry cough since 3 days. Doctor said he has no sputum and antibiotics are not required . He is on RELENT and calpol but cough is not susiding. Can u suggest me a good cough syrup for dry cough.
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 59 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare magic!
The childhood upper respiratory tract infection is mostly caused by viral infections and antibiotics are rarely helpful but if the problem do not subside in 5 days then adding antibiotics is imperative because by that time bacterial infections get superadded.
You should stop RELENT and start, syp Sinarest kid/ Maxtra-P.
They are chlorpheniramine, pseudoephedrine, paracetamol syp. which decongest and reduce sputum. 3Ml 6hourly for 4 days would be enough.
If it persists beyond that then let me know after a physicians review at your place.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.
Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.
I wish your kid a great health!