28 weeks pregnant. Have history of asthma. Feeling breathlessness. Should I be concerned?

Hi doc,
i am 28 weeks pregnant with history of asthma. recently i am noticing severe breathlessness kind of like an asthma attack. My bp which is normally around 100/60 immediately rises to 130/90 and i feel heavy palpitations. i usually take asthalin inhaler in these situation which further increases the pounding palpitations accompanied by tremors,shaking of hands and legs and uneasiness. is this normal during 28 weeks of pregnancy especially for someone who has a history of Asthma? should i be concerned about my baby during these episodes?
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 17 hours later

You mentioned that you are an asthmatic and take Asthalin inhaler frequently. You have rightly described that following the inhaler you develop pounding palpitations, tremors and uneasiness.

The description by you is suggestive of an overdose of Asthalin. You need to be concerned and take steps to control your breathlessness as it can certainly affect your baby. I would suggest that you consult a physician/chest specialist and discuss your problems. An adjustment of medicines for asthma can certainly relieve you and ensure that your pregnancy is not affected.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Do write back if you have more queries.

Wishing you all the best and regards,