16 year old is waking up with severe nausea, sweaty back, joint pain and headache. Any solution?

16 year old son is waking up with severe nausea sweaty back and crotch and joint pain. Headache but No fever
Posted Sun, 7 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Your son seems to be in the prodromal stage of developing an acute viral fever with his current symptoms. In the initial stages, there may not be fever.

It is also probable that he may have an asymptomatic bacterial urine routine test done.

The management of your son's illness is symptomatic, at home. Please give him bland liquid to semi-solid food to eat for next few days. Encourage him to take plenty of fluids orally including fruit juices until the nausea subsides. For the crotch and joint pain along with fever, you may give him Tablet Tylenol 500mg thrice daily for next 2 days.

He should do well in a couple of days. Else, you may take him to his pediatrician.

I wish your son quick recovery. Do write back if you have follow up queries to ask.

Follow-up: 16 year old is waking up with severe nausea, sweaty back, joint pain and headache. Any solution? 4 hours later
He has had this for 2 weeks and no fever the whole time. Profuse sweating in his crotch (dripping wet) and exhaustion. Mornings are by far the worst and later in the day he seems to do much better. He often vomits in the morning.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

The symptoms are lasting for 2 weeks now, although he has had no fever. It mostly points towards UTI).

As I said in my earlier reply, please get his urine routine done to rule out UTI. Also, get his blood routine done including the ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate) to rule out any ongoing systemic infection.

Continue his regular medications i.e. Valium and Prilosec.

It would be wise to discuss about this with his paediatrician and get him started on a course of antibiotic accordingly.

I hope this helps your son and he gets back to normal soon.