how many times does your heart beat in a day?

Thu, 10 Dec 2009
's  Response
The normal heart beats 72 a minute That's 4,320 an hour 103,680 times in 24 hours (a day)

Okay so I m a 15 year old girl and active with running( when it s cross country season but I m off right now) and on the skinny side weighing 95 pounds being 5 2 . I get these occasional (has happened about 8 or 9 times) heart discomfort so that when I breathe out kind of deeply there s a sharp pain near the bottom of my left lung near my heart. I think it has happened once or twice when I ate too much greasy food, when I laugh way too much, when I get over excited like when I played tennis the other day it occurred, and has randomly happened when I haven t done anything. These attacks last around 30mins to about a couple of hours. The worst case was when I still had it and went to bed and couldn t sleep on my left side because every time my heart beat there was once again a sharp pain but it was gone in the morning. I m just wondering if this could turn out to be a serious problem or just random chest pains that young people get. Please don t answer if u have no clue b/c it s a waste.

My Name is Peter , I have Been taking Diltiazam for about 4 years following 2 abrupt episodes of runaway Heart beat I managed to get to hospital in time to see it run past 205 before control was gained . 2 episodes 6 months apart. I am an avid cyclist My BP PRE Episode 1 is a consistent 120 /70 it is still 110/70 CONSTANT I have my own Meter Checked by my physician as consistent. I was put on Diltiazam following the First I am On 600 mg Day of Theopholine for 35 years and Normally My heart rate resting would be 80 -86 BPM ON DIltiazam It is 68 BPM CONSTANT Thus it is Controlling the Natural effects of THeopholine. As an Avid Cyclist I find it hard to Climb hills I used to have a heart rate range of 140 to 175 for exercise without pains or Oxygen deprivation ( I am COPD) and able to cycle very spiritedly NOW ion Diltiazam I can Barely cycle over 20 KMH at a max 140 BPM. NO MATTER HOW HARD I TRY My HR is limited to 140 B PM and I cannot cycle Faster than that level allows me or climb the lowest grade of hill Walking is spinal injury limited to no more than 35 meters Then I have nerve impingement CYCLING IS SAFE and EVVECTIVE and the ONLY exercise I can do beyond the boundary of my WHeel chair. Diltiazam is limiting me from keeping healthy CAN I STOP TAKING DILTIAZAM It is more of a health deterrent than Health protector yes it works but negatively in my opinion. It did not Stop the second AF attack

Having heart palpitations (feels like extra or skipped beat) for last two weeks straight everyday more than a few times a day. Never happened before. In the past only getting an occasional palpitation once in a blue moon. After first week of palpitations started getting chest pain or discomfort also in upper back ( like how it feels after your muscles hurt from exercise) and dwelling anxious from it all. EKG yesterday said it was normal except for slower heart rate (59 compared to last years EKG 60). Had a physical 3 months ago and everything seemed pretty normal. Doc suggested a chest X-ray eventually and Xanax. She thinks its anxiety or stress and I would have agreed with her normally only with the heart palpitations I don t feel like its that since I ve had a lot of past anxiety over the years but I ve never had these consistent palpitations and its pretty scary. I feel like the anxiety im experiencing now is just due to being scared about the palpitations and the fear and paranoia of something more serious? I m 36 5 1 103 lbs. normally healthy no history of heart disease in family.