Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What treatment should i take for overlapping Jaw ?

Hi. I went to the dentist for the first time in years recently. Despite having a top jaw that completely overlaps my bottom jaw, the dentist said I was fine. When I eat, I eat everything between the inside of my top jaw and outside of my bottom jaw. He said I had an overbite but nothing too serious. I had an x-ray and he showed me a picture of my teeth and they looked normal from the side, but you couldnt my top set of molars interlocking with the bottom set. Im 19 years old and will be 20 soon, and at the time I forgot to mention that I still have 8 of my milk (baby) teeth left, of which all are molars. However, I thought he might have noticed this and and talked to me about it, but he didnt so I dont know whether it is a problem or not. I came on here before and the dentist said it sounded like I had an orthognathic probelm. Ive seen pictures of people with overbites like this and how sometimes their top lip sticks over their bottom lip and thats what I have. Im considering seeing an orthodontist for a second opinion. Is this wise? please help x thanks
Asked On : Mon, 14 Mar 2011
Answers:  4 Views:  309
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist, Implantology 's  Response
must see an orthodontist. you have a serios problem which needs immediate attention.
Answered: Fri, 17 Jun 2011
I find this answer helpful
OBGYN Dr. Rakhi Tayal's  Response
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
Yes. What you are thinking is right. you must see an orthodontist who will help in correcting the alignment of your teeth either by wiring or by other methods. Regarding milk teeth, do not worry. They will get replaced with time.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal
Answered: Mon, 14 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Jyoti's  Response
It is uncommon to have milk teeth in your mouth at your age. Milk teeth can sometimes be over retained due to various reasons, however the dentist has to confirm that they really are your milk teeth and not the permanent ones.Over lap as you are describing is normal and this is the way the jaws are aligned in most humans. I will advise you to undergo an orthodontic evaluation for your queries
Dr Jyoti A. Chaudhari
Answered: Mon, 14 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist, Endodontics Dr. Manisha Rao's  Response
Hi, you must see an orthodontist. You have an orthognathic as well as an orthodontic problem. It can be corrected by expansion of the lower jaw so that the lower teeth occlude well with the upper teeth.If there are over retained primary molars, they need to be replaced with ceramic fixed partial dentures when they fall. The orthodontist will be able to guide you how to proceed about after the orthodontic treatment. Take care n all the best!
Answered: Mon, 14 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor