Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

What treatment should I take for the stabbing pain in the back which may be a result of shingles or after effect of scoliosis operation ?

Hi In 2004 i had a scoliosis operation where i had 2 metal rods put into my spine. I was fine till about 2 years ago where i discovered shingles which was cured, it had recently come back so the doctor i went to said but was internal and nothing can be done about it. For the past month now i have been experiencing such pain in the lower right side just above my hip. i am not sure if this is shingles or if it could do with my back operation i had but i cant bare the pain anymore and dont know what to do. it actually feels like someone is stabbing me in the back with a knife.
Asked On : Mon, 11 Apr 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  94
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Neurologist 's  Response
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic. The symptoms described by you looks like a T12-L1 radiculopathy (pain in the distribution of the radicals). This can be due to various causes like early shingles before the vesicles appear, compression of the nerve either related to progressive scoliosis or surgery. T12-L1 radiculopathy is usually not caused by degenerative lumbar spondylosis. Consult a Neurologist or a Neurosurgeon and get started on medicines for reducing the neuropathic pain. If vesicles appear get treated for shingles again with antiviral medicines. Steroids should not be used as it increases the risk of shingles. I think this will guide you for further treatment. Bye
Answered: Wed, 13 Apr 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor