Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

179 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What kind of doctor do you see for nail problems?

Hello, my 53 year old husband has white horizontal lines across his fingernails. He saw a dermatologist and they could not identify the problem. He had blood work done and it all came back normal. The podiatrist he saw for a broken toe was very concerned about his fingernails and referred him to the dermatologist who had never seen anything like it. What type of Dr. should he see for this problem?
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
Report Abuse
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The presence of white horizontal lines across the nail beds is indicative of iron deficiency anaemia. In my opinion a general physician can be of help to you.

I understand the opinion of your dermatologist as iron deficiency anaemia in developed countries is very rare and this could be cause for his ignorance.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

We suspect my husband has a hernia, problems w/ hemorrhoid a and also needs his first colonoscopy. What type of doctor(s) should we call to have these problems evaluated. Please do not send me any other emails except to answer my questions. Thank you. Lisa

doctor1 MD

Diaognosis from the doctor: on chest x-ray left hila is enlarged? lymphodenopathy Advice CECT chest ;could be suffering from koch;s pathology

doctor1 MD

What kind of a doctor do I need to see if I have inflammation of the Psoas major muscle . I haave been having this hurting since May 1012, I had a very bad fall A lady fell and knocked me down and fell on top of me. I have had 7 spinal fusion , 4 lower back and 3 cervital. all kind of back problems, but this pain is horrable. I have had weeks of rehab and didn t help. Now taking shorts from pain clinic. with not results, only hurting more each day. I have all kinds of back problems, but had been very lucky and never had a bad fall. I am 79 and in good health odther than new problem with back. I do have Graves disease , but keep in under control.