What kind of doctor do you see for nail problems?

Hello, my 53 year old husband has white horizontal lines across his fingernails. He saw a dermatologist and they could not identify the problem. He had blood work done and it all came back normal. The podiatrist he saw for a broken toe was very concerned about his fingernails and referred him to the dermatologist who had never seen anything like it. What type of Dr. should he see for this problem?
Fri, 29 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

The presence of white horizontal lines across the nail beds is indicative of iron deficiency anaemia. In my opinion a general physician can be of help to you.

I understand the opinion of your dermatologist as iron deficiency anaemia in developed countries is very rare and this could be cause for his ignorance.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.