What is the best pain reliever for nerve pain?

My husband is suffering with severe sciatica. The ER prescribed 325/5 Hydrocodone 1-2 tablets every 6 hours. He took a dose approximately 1:00 a.m., but he has not been able to sleep for two nights due to the pain. His pain is very bad right now and we are trying to treat it with ice right now (3:20 a.m. CT) Can I give him something OTC that won t cause a problem with the Hydrocodone? He is also taking Xarelto. Thanks for your help.
Fri, 9 Nov 2018

You can try analgesics like Gabapentin as it is very much effective for neuropathic pain.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Shinas Hussain, General & Family Physician